Toddler Bed Rails
A bed guard is a sensible investment in a household with children to protect the baby from falling out of bed. Bed guards are available in different heights and designs, which also affects the material and design.
Bed guards are one of the most important pieces of equipment that should not be missing in any household. You can always use the bars when the first crib is no longer safe enough or when the little ones have “outgrown” and sleep in a normal bed.
Best Bed Rail for the Side of Your Toddler’s Bed
Regalo Swing Down Bed Rail Guard
The Regalo Swing Down Bed Rail is perfect for transitioning your child to their first bed. To make the rails convenient for parents needing to get their kids out of bed, the rail swings down and out of your way, making it simple to access the bed.
- For use with a twin to queen size bed.
- No tools required.
- Designed with all-steel frame.
If you are making the transition between a crib to a bed, a bed rail can help provide a safe slumber for your little one. The bedrail can easily swing down when not in use or clip into place when needed.
The Best Portable Bed Bumper
Table of Contents: Open me
Fold-Down Toddler Bed Rails
Why are bed rails for toddlers needed?
In the first two years of life, a bed guard is usually not yet necessary because the little ones sleep in a crib at this time. However, from the age of three at the latest, they lie in an open bed. The cognitive abilities of such small children are not yet fully developed, and they usually sleep restlessly, which encourages them to fall out of bed. However, such a fall can have fatal consequences. To avoid this danger, a bed guard should be attached to the crib. Most models have a built-in folding function, which makes them very easy to transport. But who needs a bed guard? The bed guard is mainly reserved for toddlers because they sleep very restlessly. This is because humans process their day at night, and toddlers, in particular, experienced a lot in their world. Depending on the bed model, a bed guard can also be useful for babies.
The Best bed rails Review
KOOLDOO Toddlers Safety Bed Rail
- Suitable for any type of bed.
- Strong and safe material.
- Folding design saves your home space.
Safe, formaldehyde-free fabric that protects the baby or the elderly from falling off when they sleep. High quality steel, stable and strong, with strong endurance, to protect your baby.
Extra Long Toddler Bed Rail Guard
- Quickly attached to any bed.
- Breathable mesh walls.
- Designed for maximum longevity.
The universal design of our bed rail ensures that it securely attaches to any bed, large or small. The unique triple-way attachment system comes with Velcro to attach to slat bases, Adjustable Straps to secure to box-springs, and Screws to attach to wooden bases.
Shinnwa Toddler Bed Rail Memory Foam Bumpers
- 100% Polyester.
- Made without ozone depleters.
- Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP (”Tris”) flame retardants.
High-density memory foam provides a soft touch to kids while also firm enough to prevent them from falling off the bed. The cover is made of non-slip silicone and airy cotton fabric, machine washable.
At what age need bed rails for the side of your toddler's bed?
The ideal time to buy bed guards is the transition period when the baby crib is replaced by a bed without bars. The purchase of a bed guard usually becomes necessary at the latest when there is no fall-out protection on the bed itself. From the age of 3 years, it is slowly time to think about a bed guard for the child, but it also depends on the child’s nightly activity. A bed guard is then used up to the age of 5, but ultimately this is always up to the parents and depends on the child’s stage of development. You can also determine the time from when a bed guard is necessary with it: As soon as your child can go to the potty on his own, such a gate should be installed (usually at about 2 to 2.5 years). The use of a bed guard is recommended until the child lies quietly in bed and sleeps. However, if restless sleep is expected, the grid should not be removed to ensure the necessary safety.
What are the sizes of bed rails?
You can get bed rails in many sizes, both in width and height. The length is usually between 31,5 and 59″ (80-150 centimeters), the most common heights are between 11,8 and 17,7″ (30-45 centimeter). The dimensions depend on the bed guard and are different for many models. When buying, make sure you choose the right size. Also, remember that children grow quickly and are able to overcome the bed barrier quickly. Therefore, before you buy, think about where the bed barrier will be used. For longer beds, the bed rail should be extendable.
What should you look for when choosing bed rails?
Bed rails come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and are also made of a wide variety of materials. However, the material should be as free of harmful substances as possible, as well as be processed in high quality. Furthermore, when buying a bed rail, you should make sure that it is compatible with your child’s bed or parent’s bed. The other important points that you should consider when buying:
- The right size: the bed rails come in different sizes. So, keep in mind that the little ones will grow fast and overcome the bed guard quickly with time. Clarify before buying where the bed rail will be used in the future. Bed rails are available in stores from a length of 42,5 to 49,2″(108-125 cm). In addition, there are also extendable bed rails, which you can extend to a length of 59″ (150 cm). As for the height of the bed rail, they come with variable heights between 11,8 and 17,7″ (30-45 cm).
- The bars: The lattice rungs used should not be too far apart, because otherwise, they become a danger. The child could then put its arms or legs through the bars and injure itself.
- The mounting method: The bed rails can be mounted in different ways. In the simplest variant, they are inserted between the crib mattress and the slatted frame. Secure fastening is guaranteed by special brackets mounted on the lower side of the bed rails. Hinges used in the manufacture should be of high quality because they should ensure optimal closure technology and appropriate safety. Other bed guards can be mounted directly on the side of the bed.
- The material used: you can buy bed rails made of a wide variety of materials. Most models are made of metal, wood, or plastic.
Important: When buying, make sure that bed rails are made only of materials that are safe for children’s health. In the case of wooden bed rail models, you should choose such types of wood that do not splinter. Pine or beech are recommended.
How to find the right model?
Bed rails come in different models. You should choose such variants or models that optimally protect your child from falling out. A distinction is made between:
- The classic variant: they come in the form of so-called locking gates. They are often found as basic equipment of many cribs. You can easily attach such grids to the crib without tools and retrofit them if necessary.
- The flexible variant: you can attach these bed guards to different cribs, which therefore makes them very popular. These bed rails are mostly L-shaped. They can be easily attached by clamping or sliding a bracket under the crib mattress. Often they are equipped with a special retaining bracket, which is designed to provide a reliable hold of the bed rails.
- Bed rails for the adult bed: some models fit the parent’s bed. Their advantage is that the offspring can also sleep directly with you. These bed rails can be easily attached to the parent bed. They also have three sides that are closed by grids and a sleeping surface that is open to the side of the adult bed.
- Products for traveling: if you do not want to give up a safe and peaceful sleep on the road and while traveling, then you should choose a mobile bed guard. They can be conveniently folded and stored in a space-saving way.
Regalo Baby Foam Bed Bumper Installation – Video
Bed rails for toddlers - FAQ
❓ How long do toddlers need bed rails?
Bed rails should be used when your child is about 2 until age 5. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing bed rails.
❓ Should I use a bed rail for toddlers?
The experts recommend the use of bed rails until age 5 because older children are less at risk of significant injuries from falling out of their bed. Sure, most 3 years old can climb in and out of their bed, and some start to escape the crib at 1-year-old.
❓ What are the alternatives to bed rails?
Alternatives include: roll guards, foam bumpers, lowering the bed, and using concave mattresses that can help reduce rolling off the bed.
Meet Our Team
BabyAmo is a magazine of top products for infants and babies. We writing best reviews and do our best for people who want to save their time and energy while searching for an ideal product regardless of the budget they have.