Kids’ and Baby Shampoo for Curly Hair
To be curly was always a concern for almost everyone, particularly for kids who may still have a delicate head skin. However, getting the perfect shampoo for children is still considered a challenge for adults – something that is secure for tender locks and suitable for frequent use.
There are certain additives that are not safe for a child’s sensitive scalp. They may be too harsh and cause discomfort and a feeling of dryness, and may even be harmful to your baby’s curls.
So the positive thing is that we are actually here to help you find a way to deal with them. That’s right, so keep reading!
Curls are probably one of the most serious problems for children with curly hair. Simply brushing them will not solve the problem and might harm or possibly break the hair. You need to choose products that will soften and maintain the curls.
You need to carefully evaluate the safety, effectiveness, features, convenience, and of course the price of each baby shampoo option you can choose. The bad news is that the best shampoo for toddlers with curly hair is massive on the market. So, to make it easy for you, we present the best shampoos for babies with curly hair.
Shampoo for Curly Baby Hair - Best Choice
Cantu Care for Kids
Poured with Shea butter, virgin coconut oil & honey.
Carefully cleans coils and locks gently.
Mild treatment for structured hair.
Top Choice of Shampoo for Toddlers with Curly Hair
Johnson's Kids' Shampoo with Shea Butter
The tear-free shampoo formula “No More Tears”.
This hypoallergenic shampoo is gentle on the developing hair of small children.
Fairy Tales Curly-Q Hydrating Shampoo
Contains no paraben, sulfate, phthalate, gluten, soybeans, dairy products or nuts.
The mild formula gently cleanses the hair.
Shampoo for Wavy Baby Hair - Review and Benefits
1. SoCozy Curl Shampoo
2. Johnson’s Kids’ Shampoo with Shea Butter
3. Fairy Tales Curly-Q Hydrating Shampoo
4. Shea Moisture Sheamoisture Mango & Carrot
5. Baby Hair Conditioner & Detangler by Lil Leona
6. CARA B Naturally Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
7. Cantu Care for Kids
8. Aunt Jackie’s Girls Baby Girl Curls
9. Aunt Jackie’s Girls Knot Havin’ It
10. Original Sprout Natural Curl Calmer
Best shampoo for baby curly hair
Restores the natural balance of the locks, minimizes breaking, and enhances flexibility
SoCozy prides itself on being the first professional salon line of haircare products for children. This is a mild cleanser that maintains your child’s natural curls and does not dehydrate the hair. Some of its child-resistant ingredients include hydrolyzed keratin, olive oil, and plum seed oil – all of which play their part in keeping the curls protected and intact while strengthening the hair, reducing breakage and hair loss.
Bonus feature: As it is a hair care line, it also contains a conditioner and a gel-cream that you can use together with the shampoo!
- Restores the natural balance of the locks, minimizes breaking, and enhances flexibility.
- SoCozy has more than 20 years of professional expertise and experience with children’s hair.
- Contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, formaldehyde, synthetic dyes or colorants, propylene glycol, gluten, wheat and nuts
- Hydrolyzed Keratin – helps keep hair healthy and creates a natural shield on the hair stem. It improves hair firmness and reduces damage to the hair with time.
- Watermelon Seed Oil – Provides hair with a beautiful shine and assists in calming irritated skin.
This soft shampoo, enhanced with shea butter, is formulated to smooth out your child’s curly hair
Cleaning is a necessity for all people, yet your babies are not able to do it on their own. Wash your toddler’s hair and provide the definition of the locks as well. Using Johnson’s shampoo is ideal for your baby is made with Shea butter, you can straighten your baby’s frizzy hair and adjust the definition of curls for nearly a full day. Developed especially to be softer than a grown-up shampoo, this is a perfect way to keep your baby’s curls clean and fresh. Introduced to the cosmetic industry after it was checked by an optician and pediatrician. It is supplied with a non-tear formulation that is soft like water for a child’s eyes, is also hypo-allergenic, and does not include parabens sulfates or colorants. There is no artificial coloring or artificial sulfates. Your little one loves this shampoo and longs to use it while bathing. Here are the features of this product based on the fact that we put it into the best baby bath product.
- This soft shampoo, enhanced with shea butter, is formulated to smooth out your child’s curly hair.
- This hypoallergenic shampoo is gentle on the developing hair of small children.
- The tear-free shampoo formula No More Tears is as soft to the eyes as clean water and has proven itself by clinicians and pediatricians. Each Johnson’s shampoo fulfills or surpasses the most stringent globally accepted pharmaceutical standards.
Contains no paraben, sulfate, phthalate, gluten, soybeans, dairy products or nuts
Free from toxins
Fairy Tales Curly-Q provides you great shampoo for small kids with frizzy hair. This is a gentle hair care shampoo formulated to hydrate and detangle the curls. It is made of Aloe Vera which moisturizes the locks and the product softly purifies the locks or waves. This shampoo provides excellent detangling of frizzy hair in babies because this shampoo not only cleans but also cares and hydrates the hair. Like we all know, Curly-Q is the perfect product for baby dark hair, therefore it is best to reduce the use of hair products on children’s hair.
This shampoo is designed to assist moms in managing their kids’ troubling hair through controlling curling and giving the curls a proper definition. Combined with aloe vera, rice amino acids, and natural quinoa, Curly-Q helps manage curly hair. Murumuru butter gives baby’s hair durable hydration. This is the perfect shampoo for kids who have curly hair because it can manage the toughest curls with ease, leaving them soft and not heavy.
Therefore, if you want to get a great shampoo for black toddlers, there is no doubt that you need to select Curly-Q. You might want to include this item in your list of hair care items for black baby girls.
- The mild formula gently cleanses the hair
- Aloe fills curly and wavy hair back
- Helps to control Frizz
- Contains no paraben, sulfate, phthalate, gluten, soybeans, dairy products or nuts
- Free from toxins
Gently purifies your kids’ hair from dust or daily deposits
Provides dry hair with essential moisturizing and smoothing properties
SheaMoisture Mango & Carrot Kids Extra Food Shampoo blends the unique qualities of mango butter and carrot oil to help fortify and feed your kids’ hair whilst softly washing it. This formula includes SheaMoisture’s Certified Organic Raw Shea Butter, which delivers deep moisturizing that leaves hair silky and supple, giving it a touch of softness and shine. Composed of all-natural components, this shampoo is completely safe for everyday usage. This shampoo is exactly the perfect way to gently comb your children’s hair!
- Gently purifies your kids’ hair from dust or daily deposits
- Provides dry hair with essential moisturizing and smoothing properties
- Nourishes the hair and softens unruly locks
- Boosts hair strength and encourages hair growth.
- Leaves the hair free of frizz and tangles
The air bubble makes sure that the shampoo bubbles easily and provides deep cleansing while at the same time creating many bubbles to allow your kids to play with
Remove these irritating tangles with the Lil Leona Shampoo. Effective on heavy frizzy hair, it eliminates knotting and frizz. It contains no gluten and is manufactured from natural ingredients, so it is 100% safe for babies. The pH value (6.5) of this shampoo guarantees that it affects the head skin softly, purifying it, and maintaining its moisture during the whole day. Their motto, “I am Happy”, represents their aim to deliver pleasure and satisfaction to everybody going to try their produce. Don’t you think it’s lovely? It’ a two-pack bio-shampoo for kids that includes both the shampoo and the conditioning cream. Containing only pure and healthy components, it contains no aggressive substances that might be harmful to your babies. It is hypoallergenic and manufactured using only natural supplements certified for complete nutrition. It can be used for different purposes like rinsing, shampooing, and washing the body.
- The no-tears composition with a pH value between 6.5 and 7 ensures maximum softness to the eyes.
- The shampoo is also suitable for bathing the skin and foaming.
- It contains no harsh chemicals that may lead to skin problems like eczema and similar disorders.
- It contains only the finest quality materials to give the shampoo and body wash a unique authentic smell that is not overly intense.
- The air bubble makes sure that the shampoo bubbles easily and provides deep cleansing while at the same time creating many bubbles to allow your kids to play with.
Clinically proven and hypoallergenic
No synthetic dyes, scents or artificial additives
Softly clean your baby’s delicate hair and skin using this unique natural, soothing treatment. Cara b natural shampoo and body wash include Vitamin E and Aloe to hydrate and calm while delivering a generous foaming formula and a calming, relaxing chamomile aroma. Hair and skin are kept perfectly pure and supple. Cara b is specially designed by nature for infants and kids of various races, skin tones, and different hair types. This completely genuine skin and hair treatment are produced exclusively with soft, herbal care rinses and moisturizers – no damaging chemicals or artificial additives are ever added since we know that kids are inherently beautiful.
- Rich, creamy foam
- Clinically proven and hypoallergenic
- No synthetic dyes, scents or artificial additives
Ideal for car seats, strollers, and bouncers
Easy care: Machine washable
If you want to have the best baby shampoo for curly hair that is gentle not only to the hair but also to the eyes, Cantu Kids Care is for you.
Its tear-free formula makes bathing even more fun and safe, while Shea butter, coconut oils, and honey cleanse and moisturize the hair without breaking it. If your budget is so tight, it would be a good choice.
- Carefully cleans coils and locks gently
- Non-tear solution formula
- Poured with Shea butter, virgin coconut oil & honey
- Mild treatment for structured hair
The anti-frizz formula ensures that curls, waves, and twists remain well-defined and resilient
This moisturizing custard creates curls, curls, waves, two strands of twine, braiding, spools, and plaits. Thanks to its special anti-frizz formulation, the locks, ripples, and braids stay perfectly defined and flexible. Extends and provides enduring definition to the locks. Hair remains extremely smooth and stays soft and free of stickiness and crispness
- The anti-frizz formula ensures that curls, waves, and twists remain well defined and resilient.
- Longer and five-fold curls with long-lasting definition.
- It helps make hair feel super soft and doesn’t feel sticky and crunchy!
The hardest knots and tangles are loosened immediately, which makes handling and combing easier. Ideal for coarse, thick textures or any hair type that tangles easily. Helps the comb slide through!
Light brushing for the Mum and no crying for the child! Knots and tangles, go away! Aunt Jackie’s super smooth instant detangling and moisturizing therapy from Aunt Jackie is here. Only a bit is sufficient for a really long time. Immediately dissolves knots and tangles, simplifying the process of handling and brushing. Hydrating agents assist in filling the hair with long-term hydration. Produced with organic oils that help fortify the hair and enhance its flexibility and resilience.
- The hardest knots and tangles are loosened immediately, which makes handling and combing easier. Ideal for coarse, thick textures or any hair type that tangles easily. Helps the comb slide through!
- Moisturizers help replenish hair with long-lasting moisture.
- Made with natural oils that help strengthen hair and improve its elasticity.
With organic rosemary against lice and insects
With natural & organic ingredients
Free from fruit extracts and honey
The Curl Calmer gives you beautiful natural locks and curls that look and feel smooth and soft. It contains components like jojoba and cucumber to provide hydration and gloss to all kinds of locks. Rosemary essence encourages blood flow to the head, which stimulates growth and reduces fractures. Perfect for soft, dry, or frizzy waves and locks.
- With organic rosemary against lice and insects
- With natural & organic ingredients
- Free from fruit extracts and honey
- No citrus oils (photosensitizers)
- Free from hormonal disturbances
- For all hair types and textures
- Soothes & smoothes dry hair
- Protects against breakage
Best Shampoo for Wavy Baby Hair - Our Choice
How to Care for your Child's Curly Hair
Tips for the care of curly hair
It is a challenge to maintain healthy-looking curls. There is a lot to think about, and you can’t just buy products without knowing exactly what you want to plunder. So here are some basic tips to help you choose the right hair products and what to do with your child’s hair.
- Find out about your child’s hair type and the condition of her scalp. Does your child have a very sensitive scalp? Is her hair matted? Frizzy? With this information, you can search for specific ingredients on products and find the right one. Most products will say they are suitable for all types of curls, while some are more recommended for a specific type, so it’s good to keep this in mind.
- Research. In relation to the first point, find the benefits of the ingredients found on different shampoos. This will help you choose the right shampoo to suit your child’s needs.
Hair Care Essentials
Here are four basic products for hair care:
- Shampoo – is used to cleanse and remove all impurities from hair and scalp.
- Conditioner – from the word itself, nourishes the hair to ensure that it stays moisturized and looks healthy.
- Leave-On – protects the hair all day long, keeps it free from tangles and makes it easy to comb.
- Styling Spray – helps keep curls in place all day long.
These are the basic products for hair care. In this article, we have focused on shampoos, but you can also read about the other products that are available to care for your little ones’ curly hair.
Things to look out for when buying shampoo and conditioner for children
Children mean the world to mothers, and mothers want to make sure that their children are healthy and safe in every possible way. Unfortunately, when we consider the harmful and unnatural chemicals contained in most of the products we use every day, we realize that this is a difficult task. Companies continue to use ingredients that are not organic and can cause harmful side effects, although they are aware of this. All that remains is for us to be aware of these risks and to read the labels carefully so that we can ensure that we do not use products with ingredients that must be avoided.
The integumentary system (which includes skin, hair, nails, etc.) of infants is very sensitive and fragile. A good shampoo is a shampoo that provides the scalp with the necessary proteins and nutrients, keeping the baby’s hair healthy and soft. It also protects the baby’s delicate curls and helps prevent them from getting tangled too. The shampoo should contain few ingredients, all of which are organic. It should not contain any synthetic substances, chemical fragrances, or dyes that could damage the baby’s delicate hair, skin, and eyes. The shampoo should also be gentle and tempting enough for the little ones to enjoy their bath and have beautiful curls.
When you buy baby products such as shampoo, conditioners, or cosmetics, read the label carefully and pay attention to the following ingredients that must be avoided.
- Perfume – made from synthetic chemicals
- SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) – also an insecticide
- Talcum – potentially carcinogenic
- Parabens – a preservative synthetic compound
- Mineral oil – a by-product of oil processing
- Ethical ingredients – indicates the presence of dioxane
- Triclosan – a banned chemical that is carcinogenic
How to care for your child’s curly hairstyle
1. Wash less frequently
It may be against common sense to shampoo curly hairless. But too much shampooing can cause the hair to become dry and dull since locky hair will require additional moisturizing. You can probably wash it twice a week, as this kind of hair is quite sensitive and tends to get damaged when wet. You may also consider co-washing, which refers to using just conditioner to wash the hair. Typical shampoos contain sulfates (detergents) which, although they purify the hair thoroughly, are able to deprive it of humidity and essential oils, leaving it dehydrated and vulnerable to breakage. Therefore, curly hair can benefit from the co-wash regime as it gently cleanses and maintains the hair’s natural moisture content, making it healthier and more resistant.
2. The skill of detangling
Curls can get tangled very easily. But you can take certain measures to soften the knots. Do not untangle the curls dry. Also, clean the hair with a product specially designed for curly hair to make your washing day easier. Not only can it help to quickly untangle the knots, but it can also give the hair a soft texture, which makes untangling even more convenient. After using the cleanser, you can apply a generous amount of conditioner. Allow the conditioner to work for a few minutes and then start untangling. The conditioner can smooth the hair and make it easier to handle. Remember not to rinse off the conditioner before untangling.
Then comes the brushing. There are various opinions about brushing. Many people believe that you should try to stop brushing curls. Rather, people should brush with a wide-toothed comb or simply using their fingers. There are some who believe that a damp comb can do miracles for curls. The two options can be mixed up: on washing days, brushing your hair, and on other times, mixing your fingers with a can of spray and conditioner to detangle the curls.
3. Use appropriate products
In order to achieve the best results, you should identify your baby’s hair type and then choose hair care products that are designed specifically for that hair type. You may wish to choose items that are safe and silicone-, sulfate- and Paragon-free. You might get confused when attempting to identify your child’s hair type and choose hair care products that are safe. You should consult a hairstylist or beauty salon for assistance at any time. Alternatively, you can participate in an online quiz to assist you in the process.
4. Consider refreshing curls
Curly hair can appear better right after washing because the curls are easier to define and form something that may not be the case when drying. You can consider spraying them with a water bottle to refresh them. Just spray on the curls and apply a little conditioner to redefine them. In addition, you may delicately detangle them while using the conditioner over the entire length of the curls. If time is limited and you lack the time to restore all curls, just spray the curls and allow the hair to air dry.
5. Decide on leave-in conditioner
If you use a hair conditioner, cream, or oil after washing your hair, you can achieve the best curl definition. Apply the conditioner directly after showering. You can further complement it by applying some coconut oil and finishing with a defining gel/serum. It can help you maximize the moisture in the curls, making them more disciplined and silky smooth. Just as rubbing lotion into the skin immediately after a bath will trap and moisturize the skin, the same can be done with curls.
Celebrate your child’s unique and beautiful natural curls. Choose hair products that enhance protection, moisture, and curl definition. Treat your child to a real salon that is trained in the use of curls. Curls can be easily maintained over time and as your child grows. Until then, treat yourself to the pleasures of curls!
It is always best to make sure that you as parents use the right hair products for your little ones, especially if they have curly hair. There are many shampoos for children on the market today, and all of them claim to be safe for your child’s sensitive scalp, but it is still worth doing some research, especially on the contents of these products. Check if your child is allergic to any of these ingredients before you buy them and use them as staple foods while bathing.
Some of these products come in sets such as conditioners and styling sprays, so you should also consider buying them in bundles to save money rather than buying them individually. However, if you are interested in mixing and combining them, you can choose to buy them individually. You may have a preferred brand for certain hair care products. All in all, the products mentioned in this report are the highlights of the best shampoos for babies and toddlers with curly hair.
Curly Toddler Haircare – Video
Meet Our Team
BabyAmo is a magazine of top products for infants and babies. We writing best reviews and do our best for people who want to save their time and energy while searching for an ideal product regardless of the budget they have.
BabyAmo Review Journal
Learn all Things to Buy for Your Babies
We test the products we choose to see their features in action
We detail write in-detail descriptions of the items’ features
We combine all our findings to help you pick the product